The university chapel is open to visitors
most days under the watchful but unobtrusive care of the janitorial
staff. It is an active church with regular
services (especially during term time) and a place for quiet
prayer and contemplation and so visitors are asked to respect
the sanctity of the building when visiting. University students and graduates
have the right to be narried in the chapel. There is no charge
for admission on visits.
The Chapel viewed from the balcony clearly showing
the stained glass windows
The chapel was built by Bishop
Kennedy to serve both the town and St. Salvator's College.
During the Reformation the chapel was severely damaged, with
the destruction by the protestants of anything construed as a
"graven image", including Bishop Kennedy's tomb and
the stained glass windows.
After a century of neglect the chapel
experienced several rennovations. In the 1680's, Provost Skene
restored both the chapel and the tower. In the 1760's the roof
was deliberately collapsed to allow it's replacement, causing
further damage to Bishop Kennedy's tomb. Rennovation continuing
into the 20th century has restored the chapel to it's rightful
place as a hub of the university life.
The chapel altar inlaid with a beautiful mosaic
depiction of the Last Supper.
One legend says that the pulpit in the
chapel originally came from Holy Trinity
Church, and was used by John Knox to incite the destruction
of the cathedral in 1559.
For an excellent full description of the
history of the chapel, see the pages by Alistair