St Mary's Quadrangle - Schools of Theology, Psychology and Medicine
The entrance to St. Mary's College quadrangle
is through a gateway on the south side of South Street. Above
the gate is inscribed the motto "In principio erat verbum"
which translates to English as "In the beginning was the
Word" (John 1v1).
Dominating the entrance
is a large Holm Oak tree though more famous is a small scraggly
thorn allegedly planted by Mary Queen of Scots. Queen Mary's Thorn is just to the right of the willow
tree. The quadrangle is a peaceful location just seconds from
the bustle of the main street. Sadly the doves which used to inhabit
the quadrangle have had to be removed for health reasons.
St. Mary's is the theological college of
the University of St. Andrews.
Originally founded in 1538
by Archbishop James Beaton, uncle of Cardinal
David Beaton, St Mary's College was intended to preserve the
teachings of the Roman Catholic church against the "heretical"
teachings of the reformers. At that time it was known as the New
College. It was completed in 1554. Shortly thereafter it become
a teaching institute for Protestant reformed theology and a training
ground for Scottish ministers.
Also in the Quad is the highly rated (5-star)
of Psychology and the Bute Medical Sciences building.